eBay sells Skype for $1.9 billion

0
333

skypeIt’s a done deal.

Shortly after announcing the plan in September , eBay has finally let go of Skype which they acquired in 2005.

The famous online auction site completed the sale of the Internet telephony service for $1.9 billion and an “I Owe You” note for a further $125 million. The investors, owning 70 percent of the share of Skype include Marc Andreessen’s new Andreessen Horowitz group, Silver Lake, and the Skype co-founders’ Joltid Ltd. eBay controls the remaining 30 percent.

The deal was pushed through after eBay finally settled a legal battle with Skype co-founders Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis. The duo filed a copyright lawsuit claiming that the auction site violated copyright law by altering and sharing the peer-to-peer source code behind the Skype.

Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10402053-93.html